Whether or not you’ve been following the NBA season 2019 you’ve probably come across the name or seen his spectacular highlights across your social channels. Luka Dončić is taking the NBA by storm.
Born in Ljubljana (Don’t worry we struggled with that as well), Slovenia on 28th February 1999, Dončić displayed his special talent from an early age. He was signed by Spanish Club, Real Madrid at the young age of 16, the youngest pro in the club’s history. The moment he suited up, you quickly realised the hype train was real. Dončić displayed unreal potential. Just two seasons in with Real Madrid, Dončić lead Madrid to the 2018 Euro League title as well as claiming the Euroleague MVP award.
Following his Euroleague success, Dončić declared for the NBA draft in 2018 instantly drawing attention as a top lottery pick. On draft night, it seemed Dončić had found himself a new home in Atlanta at pick number 3. But just like any draft night, there were surprises. Just two picks later, Dončić was traded to the Dallas Mavericks for Trae Young (Steph Curry’s Doppelgänger), a PG with light’s out shooting ability and standout court vision, as well as a protected 2019 first-round pick. A trade which seemed fair at the time. Little did the Hawks know how quickly Dončić would develop and just how good he would be in the NBA.
Fast forward to now, and it’s Luka Mania across the NBA. The 20-year-old looks like a veteran on the NBA court in just his second season. Dončić is dominating in nearly every statistical category. Averaging 30.6 points and 9.6 Assists per game, ranking third and second, respectively.
Why is Dončić so good? Let’s let this number sink in, 3,441. That’s the number of professional minutes Dončić had played before stepping on the NBA hardwood. As mentioned Dončić career began at the early age of just 16, with Real Madrid, one of Spain’s top teams. A team competing in the ACB and Euroleague, two of the fiercest competitions outside of the NBA. Dončić took full advantage this opportunity, honing his game against top international stars and former NBA players, a major improvement over the competition faced by college athletes in the NCAA.
Check out Dončić’s outstanding feats this season:
- Dončić is close to averaging a 30-point triple-double for the season.
- Dončić is the youngest player ever to record back to back 30-point triple doubles. Achieving this at just 20 years of age.
- Dončić is being compared to LeBron James and Larry Bird. Two of the NBA’s all-time greats.
- Dončić has reached the milestone of 2000 career points in just 88 games. This is 4 games faster than LeBron James (92)
- Dončić become the second youngest player in NBA history to record a 40-point triple-double. Finishing with 42 points, 11 rebounds and 12 assists against the San Antonio Spurs.
- Dončić tied the GOAT, Michael Jordan for the longest streak of games with 20+ points, 5+ rebounds and 5+ Assists since the NBA/ABA merger, with 18 straight games.
Dončić’s experience is exemplified on the NBA court. He seems to be playing chess, while his competitors are playing checkers. Keep an eye on Dončić’s NBA career, if the Slovenian superstar can stay healthy, we might just be lucky enough to witness one of the NBA’s greats.
We would love to hear your thoughts on Dončić.
Do you think he has what it takes to become the MVP? How many NBA championships do you think he will win?